WD MyCloud is a great way to back up old photos and access them online.
Prerequisites: Modem/Router knowledge, Account setup knowledge, File management knowledge.
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 30 minutes
Expected Outcome: old photos are backed up and saved on the members own home server.
Tools Required: WD MyCloud backup drive, modem, or modem router combo with an internet connection.
Steps to Perform
- Connect one end of the power adapter into the DC power connector on the back of the device and connect the other end of the power adapter into a AC power outlet.
- The unit will automatically power on, since this device does not use a separate power button. Continue with the next section.
To continue with the remainder of the setup process, My Cloud Home requires a smartphone or tablet with Internet access via Wi-Fi. Once My Cloud Home shows a solid white LED light, continue with the following steps:
- Download and install the My Cloud Home mobile app from the applicable app store.
- Agree to the Western Digital End User License Agreement.
- Allow the My Cloud mobile app to find your My Cloud Home device.
- If the My Cloud Home device is automatically detected, Press the Connect button that is associated with your My Cloud Home device.
▪ A picture of the My Cloud Home device and its corresponding Security Code should be displayed. This Security Code is noted on the Quick Install Guide and on the barcode label on the bottom of the unit. Note: If your My Cloud Home device is not automatically detected, follow these 4 steps:
- Press the Enter Your Device Code option noted below the Desktop App and Mobile App options.
- Enter the Security Code from the Quick Install Guide that came with the My Cloud Home device. The Security Code is also on the barcode label on the bottom of the unit.
- After entering the security code, Press Search.
- The One More Thing dialog box opens, Press Continue.
- If you do not yet have an My Cloud Home account, select Create Account.
- Enter your email address and Press Continue.
- Re-enter the same email address and Press Continue.
- Enter your password and Press Continue
- Enter your first name and last name and Press Create Account. The My Cloud Home mobile app will now search for the My Cloud Home device.
- Once the My Cloud Home device is detected, the mobile app will display available wireless networks. Select the network that the My Cloud Home device will use. The password for the network you select may be required.
- Once the network is set up the Allow Analytics screen will display. Select either Allow or Don't Allow.
- During the setup process, the My Cloud Home mobile app will ask for the auto backup feature to be enabled. Enable this feature, and the backup process will manage itself.
- Congratulations! Your My Cloud Home device is now ready to use.