A member may not be getting adequate internet connection to their desktop or laptop over wifi and want a stronger antenna to connect to their router.
Prerequisites: Must have a WiFi dongle, a router that is outputting a WiFi signal, and a Windows computer
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: <10 Minutes
Expected Outcome: Your device will be able to connect to WiFi
Tools Required: The WiFi dongle
Steps to Perform
- Plug the USB dongle into your computer, preferably into a USB Type A 3.0 port (shown
- Note that the UBS Type A 3.0 is blue
- Wait for drivers to automatically install for the dongle, or manually install drivers if the dongle came with a CD-ROM or an additional USB drive.
- Note that if neither of those options work, you can go to the manufacturer's website and find the drivers there
- In your device's network configuration settings set the dongle as your default internet adapter
- To get to the network configuration settings, right click the WiFi symbol in the bottom right corner of your task bar and select "Network and Internet Settings"
- Select your home network from the list of available connections and connect to the internet
- If you have a password for your network (and we recommend that you should) you will need to re-enter it at this time
- Double check that the connection strength is satisfactory