Included are the instructions on how to set up your brand new Windows 10 computer.
Prerequisites: Basic keyboard/mouse skills
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: <10 minutes
Expected Outcome: Windows 10 computer is set up and fully functional
Tools Required: Windows 10 PC/laptop, laptop charger (if necessary), WiFi or ethernet connection, Microsoft account credentials (if you have a Microsoft account already)
Steps to Perform
- From the first screen, you will hear Cortana, Microsoft's voice assistant, giving a few verbal explanations of the setup. She will be guiding you through the setup process. You may disable this verbal voice assistant at any time by pressing the microphone icon at the bottom left-hand side of the screen.
- Select the proper language/region, as well as keyboard preferences.
- The following screen shows a list of available WiFi networks, find the correct one and click on it. Make sure to input the correct password for it if it is a secured network.
- If you have a Microsoft account, make sure to login on the following step. This is particularly handy for saving your preferred settings, files, and apps synced across any other Windows 10 devices you may have.
- If two-factor authentication is enabled on your Microsoft account, you will be prompted to enter in a pin sent to you via email to authenticate you.
- You will be prompted to create a login pin or set up a fingerprint
- You may receive a step to enable Cortana, the voice assistant, in the following screen:
- The subsequent screen will list default settings that you can toggle on and off. You may do so here or later on in the settings. Select Accept to finish up the setup.
Don't forget to complete any Windows or driver updates once you make it to your home screen!!