How to install a Unifi AP in an already existing Unifi system
Prerequisites: Knowledge of the network (Hardware, Layout, Names, Etc.). Knowledge of current network addressing (DHCP, Fixed, Etc.).
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 15 minutes
Expected Outcome: Unifi AP will be installed
Tools Required: Access to your Unifi network. Unifi Access Point Device. Computer or Phone capable of running the software. Credentials for AP and Unifi Network Software. Optional: Network Map.
Steps to Perform
- Connect the AP to your network and power it on
- Quick Start Guide
- Your Access Point should come with a Power Over Ethernet adapter. This will allow one cable to provide power and data to your AP. If replacing, you will most likely already have an adapter or a PoE switch installed.
- Plugging the RJ45 connector into the AP will power it on. If connected to your network via a cable, the AP will also have data connectivity.
- Navigate to the applicable UniFi application for your network via a web browser or mobile app
- You can download any of the Ubiquity Software via this link - https://www.ui.com/download-software/
- You will need your Ubiquity Credentials to log into the software
- Using Mobile App video -
- If your mobile device or computer is on the same network via an ethernet cable or other access point, you will see the new AP in the list of devices.
- You will now be able to select that device and configure it for your use. You will need the admin credentials for this device. If it's a new device, you will use the default "ubnt" and "ubnt".
- Configure the device for the SSID you prefer and add a Guest Network if desired.