Whether you have a brand new iPhone or are setting it back up after a factory data reset, these steps will ensure it's set up to your preferences.
Prerequisites: Access to WiFi or cellular network as well as Apple ID and password
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 5-10 minutes
Expected Outcome: Successfully access the home screen after making preferred selections during setup
Tools Required: iPhone
Steps to Perform
- Turn the device on
- Select your language
- Select your region
- If you have another device using iOS 11 or later you may use "Quick Start" option and lay both devices near each other then follow on-screen instructions. If not, select "Set Up Manually".
- Choose a WiFi connection if available and input password if needed or use cellular connection if WiFi is not available (ensure you have inserted your carrier's SIM card first).
- Set up Face or Touch ID (depends on device) and pin code if preferred
- To bypass the Face/Touch ID, select "Set Up Later in Settings"
- Select "Passcode Options" to choose between 6- or 4-digit pin codes or to skip setting up the pin code
- If you have a backup you'd like to restore, select one of the options provided or select "Don't Transfer Apps & Data" if you don't have one
- Sign into your Apple ID if you have one or set one up
- Enable automatic updates and decide whether to share information with app developers
- Set up Siri and other features or select "Set Up Later in Settings" to skip
- Set up Screen Time if preferred or select "Set Up Later in Settings" to skip
- Finish by tapping "Get Started"