In iOS there is a feature that will allow you to scan documents to PDF files using the camera on your iOS device
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 5 minutes
Expected Outcome: You will have a PDF file on your iOS device with the document you scanned in it
Tools Required: A iPhone or iPad with iOS 11 or later
Steps to Perform
Method 1: Scan into Notes app
- Tap on the "Notes" app on the home screen
- Tap on the paper icon in the lower right corner to create a new note
- Tap on the camera icon above the keyboard then tap on "Scan Documents"
- Place your document on a flat surface in the middle of the screen and it will turn yellow and flash once it's scanned. You can scan more pages but you must scan them one at a time
- Once you have scanned all the pages you want you can tap on the document in the lower left to preview it or you can click "Save" in the lower right to save the document
- Once you click "Save" you will be taken back to the Notes app. Here you can tap on the document to view it and share it by taping on the box with the arrow in the top right.
- You can share via Messages, Mail or another other apps that support sending documents
Method 2: Scan into Files app
1. Tap on the "Notes" app on the home screen
2. Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner then tap on "Scan Documents"
3. Follow steps 4 and 5 from Method 1 above
4. Once you tap "Save" you can give your document a name and chose where you would like to save the PDF file within the Files app