iPhone widgets can be quite useful and can be the difference between a casual user of the technology and a real power user. They are, however, a bit difficult to understand and configure. This Gizmo Guide will help that understanding!
Prerequisites: Must be familiar with editing a home screen on an iPhone/iPad
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: < 5 Minutes
Expected Outcome: The Widgets screen will be customized for personal use
Tools Required: Must have an iPhone/iPad, Must have 3rd party apps downloaded to use certain Widgets (i.e. Spotify must be installed to use the Spotify Widget)
Steps to Perform
- Scroll all the way to the Left on your home screen
- This is your Widgets screen
- Scroll down to the bottom of the list
- Select Edit
- The Widgets will begin to "wiggle" just like when arranging application icons on the iPhone/iPad's home screen
- Once in the editing mode, to add a Widget, find and select the '+' symbol in the top left corner of the screen
- A Widget select screen will pop up and you can select from the provided list of Widgets to add
- Some Widgets have different sizes/styles, so make sure to look around to find the one that's best for you!
- Once the Widget has been added to the screen, you can rearrange them, just like how you would rearrange the iPhone/iPad's home screen
- To remove a Widget, simply tap the '-' symbol on the top left of the Widget itself
- There will be a prompt to confirm removing the Widget
Note that not all applications have corresponding Widgets, even some default Apple applications do not have a Widget.
Widgets can be (limitedly) accessed while the device is locked