Sometimes iPhones will try to take a guess as to who may be texting, but the system is not perfect, so this Gizmo Guide is here to help you fix an inaccurate guess or if they've gone "haywire"
Prerequisites: Access to an Apple iPhone, data/WiFi, and an iCloud account
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: ~5 Minutes
Expected Outcome: The contacts will be returned to their original listings so the phone recognizes them
Tools Required: iPhone, internet
Steps to Perform
- Click on Settings and go to the Contacts setting.
- Scroll to the bottom and uncheck the option ‘Dial Assist’ (this will ensure the phone is not trying to format it to international phone numbers).
- Exit the Contacts settings and go into General.
- Go into Language and Region settings.
- Change each of these settings off of what they are currently on (for example, change language for English-United States to English-Australia, change region from United States to United Kingdom) and save the changes.
- Change these settings back to what they are supposed to be.
- Exit Language and Region setting and then exit the General settings.
- Click on the member’s name at the top of the list of settings to access their Apple ID settings.
- Go to iCloud.
- Turn off Contacts in list of backup options.
- When prompted, choose to remove the contacts from the phone (don’t worry, this will not delete the contacts as they are still saved in the iCloud so they will come back).
- Turn the Contacts back on and allow it some time to sync the contacts back to your phone.
- Restart phone (optional). All of these steps will help bring back the contacts in the proper format displaying the proper names.