Even though there are ways to purchase more storage space through iCloud, these tips may help you save space and by extension, save money
Prerequisites: An Apple device
Difficulty Level: Member, Nerd
Estimated Time: 5-10 Minutes
Expected Outcome: As much space as possible will be saved
Tools Required: No physical tools are needed
Optimize your Photos
- Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Photos (There will be multiple options here)
- You can outright disable iCloud Photos to save space, but if you are sharing iCloud data with a family member this is not recommended
- You can choose between Optimizing iPhone Storage or to Download and Keep Originals - to get the best out of your iCloud Storage, it is recommended that you choose Download and Keep Originals. Note that if you select this option your photos will no longer be synced to iCloud, so if your iPhone happens to break, they will be lost
- Upload to My Photo Stream and Shared Album options are personal preference and do not affect the storage capacity of iCloud
Turn off certain apps’ syncing capabilities
- Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud
- You may have seen this page before if you optimized your photos
- This page has multiple “switches” showing the status of what is being backed up to iCloud from your device
- To save some space, you can disable individual items, but it is recommended that you keep Contacts, Notes, and Siri at the bare minimum.
Still not enough Space?
If there is still not enough open space in iCloud, it may be time to upgrade your storage as a whole. We have created another Gizmo Guide™ for exactly that thing and you can find it here.