Microsoft will NOT popup a message on your computer indicating you need to call to get support. These popup messages are SCAMS.
Prerequisites: Familiar with Browser Settings; Browser Extensions; Browser Privacy
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 20 minutes
Expected Outcome: Browser(s) will function properly and as expected
Tools Required: Physical or LogMeIn Access to Computer; Credentials
Steps to Perform
- Let Member know this can happen to anyone and comfort them that we will help them get back to 100% in short order
- Ask the Member if they clicked on anything, called anyone, allowed access to their computer, provided credit card info, or provided any other data to anyone.
- Make notes in our system for all sources of violation so we can follow up
- Ask the Member when the popup first occurred.
- Record the response so we can clear the browser history
- Tell the Member to close the browser.
- Sometimes CTRL+ALT+DEL is required to kill the browser instance
- Or force quit on a Mac using COMMAND+Q
- Help Member clear browser history for past 24 hrs, Days, or Weeks, depending on when threat first occurred.
- Check for any installed browser extensions. Remove any you don't recognize.
- Check Start page is set correctly
- Check Default Search Engine is set correctly
- Check installed programs and remove any you don't recognize installed since the scam
- Verify operations
- Restart computer
- Restart all browsers
- Test searching
- Test browsing
Common Popup Messages