VLC is arguably the best media player for Windows 10 and it will play any media format
Prerequisites: Windows settings knowledge, knowledge of how to download and install software
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 30min
Expected Outcome: Your computer by default will play downloaded media on VLC instead of on the built in media player
Tools Required: PC with internet access running windows 10
Steps to Perform
- First go to https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and click on Download VLC in the orange box. This will start the VLC download.
- Once it is downloaded click on the .exe file and then click “open” to start the installation.
- Once you have done that the installer will walk you through the installation process.
Here are the detailed steps to make VLC the default media (video as well as audio) player:
- Click on the Windows Start button, search for and go to Settings.
- Click on Apps.
- Access the Default apps.
- Under Choose Default apps, for the Video player click on Movies & TV and switch to VLC Media Player.
- If you want to do it for music files as well, do the same thing for the choice present as Music player.
The options are saved immediately after the settings are changed. The next time you open video files, VLC will be the program to open it. You will also see the famous traffic cone icon in the thumbnails of the media files.