A complete guide on how to use Bitwarden Password Manager to store your different account credentials on Windows and Mac
Prerequisites: Some knowledge of how to use a web browser
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 10-15 minutes
Expected Outcome: Have a secure password manager to store all of your passwords in
Tools Required: A PC or Mac with and internet connection
Setup an account
- In a web browser navigate to bitwarden.com
- Click on "Get Started" in the top right of the web page
- Give a valid email address that you have access to and create a master password. It is important that you create a very strong master password that you can remember.
- Once you create a password and click "Submit" your account will be created and you will be redirected to the login page. Login to your account and you will see the home page for you account.
From here click on "Send Email" in the "Verify Email" box in the top right. This will send you an email with instructions on how to verify you email address.
Once you verify you email address your account is ready to be used
Use the Bitwarden application on a Windows PC or Mac
- From your Bitwarden home page click on the profile icon in the upper right then click on "Get the Apps"
- You will be redirected to the download page
From here select which OS you wish to install the Bitwarden app on. For Windows download the installer file and run it. For macOS you will be redirected to the App Store and on Linux download the executable AppImage and run it.
- Windows Only: Run the installer once it downloads then click on "Install"
- Once Bitwarden has been downloaded and installed, run it and you will see the login page
From here login with the email and password you created before
Once you login you will see your password vault
Right now the vault is empty so lets add some passwords
- To create an entry in your vault click on the plus at the bottom of the screen
From this page you can name your new entry, add a username, password, website URL and more
You also have the option to generate a new password if you are creating a new account
To do this, click on the arrow circle in the password field
This will bring up the password generator
- Once you have created a new entry click on the save icon at the bottom of the window
- You now have a new entry in your vault