Creating temporary and permanent back-ups and Restoring back-ups of previous versions of websites hosted on WPEngine.
Prerequisites: WPEngine, Website hosted
Difficulty Level: Member • Nerd • Platypus
Estimated Time: 30 minutes
Expected Outcome: Website is restored or back-up is created
Tools Required: WPEngine, Unzipping tool
Steps to Perform
- Login into the WPEngine User Portal at: https://identity.wpengine.com/
- From here go to the website you are looking to back-up or restore, in this example, we are going to back-up the NN’s Dev website.
- Now Click on “Back-up Points”
- This will provide you with a list of daily website back-ups from the past 30 days.
- To create a new temporary back-up, click “Create Backup”. This creates a backup of the current version of the website. A notification of back-up completion will be sent to the email address you provide.
- To create a permanent back-up, choose “Download ZIP”. This takes the currently selected back-up and creates a ZIP file containing that back-up. This file is sent through a link to the email addresses listed. NOTE: Make sure you download the backup ZIP file within 7 days because after that the link will disappear after this time.
- You can choose to create a Full or Partial Back-up of the site.
- To restore a point click the checkbox next to the preferred restore point and then click “Restore”
NOTE: You can restore a version from Dev to the Production site, so be careful to pick what website you want to use the restore on.
- To restore from a ZIP file, follow the readme.html found inside the ZIP folder.
- Once completed the website will be restored to the previous version.